As I ponder the question posed about why the Democrat Party omitted mentioning God in their platform, I marvel at the depths to which America’s critical thinking skills have sunk.
Who cares how many times God’s name is included in or omitted from a political platform? Isn’t a better question: How would God react to the different planks in a platform? Hitler probably alluded to God in Mein Kampf. Does that sanctify the writing in it?
The Republican Party sows the name God throughout their political ads, speeches, legislation, and literature, giving the impression that God passed judgment on them proclaiming them “good.”
After the mention of God’s name to sanctify the air, they then proceed to express views and policies that would make a Christian God shudder. Using God’s name to endorse an ungodly idea or policy is nothing short of blasphemous.
How would God feel about these popular Republican positions?
- Gutting the social safety net and making people go hungry through no fault of their own.
- Disemboweling our public school system where poor people can only afford to attend.
- Repealing the Affordable Healthcare Act forcing 50 million Americans to go without medical insurance, including children. Removing environmental regulations that allow the desecration of God’s Creation.
- Supporting a regressive tax structure forcing the poor and middle class to pay higher tax rates than the rich.
- Treating immigrants like cattle instead of living, breathing human beings.
- Removing the safeguards of Medicare and Social Security that the elderly depend on.
- Increasing the burgeoning defense budget to continue our foreign policy of perennial war, killing hundreds of thousands of innocent victims and sacrificing our own soldiers in the process.
- Robbing women of their inalienable right of equality in the workplace and over their own bodies.
- Disenfranchising the poor and elderly by rescinding their right to vote.
No matter how many “Gods” or “Hail Marys” you add to a political platform that embraces ungodly policy, you’re still left with a document that reeks of insensitivity, hypocrisy, and immorality.
Would God or any American with a social conscience endorse a platform like this? God doesn’t care how many times his name is dropped; he does care about the content, the intentions, and the implementation of a political platform.
The Republican Party needs to make a hard decision: Are we going to be Christians or are we going to only pretend we are?